Friday 18 October 2013

Friday Feature: Jamie Baywood's Getting Rooted in New Zealand

As you may have realised I'm still stuck in blogging limbo whilst I look after my mother (another two weeks to go) however travel writer Jamie Baywood has graciously offered to write a guest post for you all!

Jamie is a Californian now living in wedded bliss in Scotland. Getting Rooted in New Zealand is her account of the start of her journey to find happiness: fleeing California and her ex-boyfriend for New Zealand, a country with 100,000 fewer men than women...but things never go as planned and it is going to take new weird world filled with curious characters and slapstick situations in unbelievably bizarre jobs before she even gets close to finding what she is looking for.

Jamie has put together a soundtrack for her journey through New Zealand so that you can feel like you are living the adventure with her:



  1. Bitter:Sweet - The Mating Game
  2. Goldfrapp - Ooh La La
  3. Santigold - L.E.S. Artistes (Brummer Remix)
  4. Kids of 88 - Just a Little Bit
  5. Naked and Famous - Young Blood
  6. Kavinsky - Nightcall
  7. College & Electric Youth - A Real Hero
  8. Metronomy - The Look
Here are some of Jamie's reasons for choosing the tracks she did:
 
These songs I listened to a lot in California before New Zealand:
 
BiitterSweet – The Mating Game
Goldfrapp – Ooh La La
 
I listened to these songs a lot when I was about twenty-five and single in California. I was young and getting chased by a lot of guys – most I was completely uninterested in.
 
These songs I listened to while I was in New Zealand:
 
Santigold – L.E.S. Artistes
 
There are some lines in this song that really apply to how I felt when I first arrived in New Zealand:
 
What I’m searching for I can say I hope it will be worth what I give up 
What am I here for 
I left my home to disappear is all I’m here for myself
 
Kids of 88 – Just a little Bit
Naked and Famous – Young Blood
 
Kids of 88 and Naked and Famous were New Zealand bands I discovered during my time in there. I had the chance to go to a concert where they both performed. It was a great night.
 
I listened to while living in the UK after New Zealand:
 
Kavinsky - Nightcall
College & Electric Youth - A Real Hero
Metronomy - The Look
 
I can get obsessed with listening to movie soundtracks. Last year when I first moved to the UK and was living in Scotland I was obsessed with the Drive soundtrack. I listen to Nightcall and A Real Hero over and over. My husband also introduced me to Metronomy in Scotland.
 
*** 

Getting Rooted in New Zealand is available in paperback and ebook on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/1482601907
Jamie Baywood can be followed on:
Facebook.com/jamiebaywood
Twitter.com/jamiebaywood
Pinterest.com/jamiebaywood
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7069448.Jamie_Baywood
amazon.com/author/jamiebaywood
 
 ***
If you are a writer, musician, band, artist or movie maker and are curious about being a Feature Friday or if you know someone who you think would make a good Feature Friday please get in contact!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...